According to commander of military forces in the Middle East, U.S. plans to approve the sale of F-15 fighter jets to Egypt.
Gen. Frank McKenzie, the head of U.S. Central Command, told the Senate Armed Services Committee on Tuesday that the impending deal for the jets followed a drawn-out process.
“In the case of Egypt, I think we have good news in that we’re going to provide them with F-15s, which was a long, hard slog,” McKenzie told senators. “They felt it was too long, it took too long.”
CENTCOM commander during the senate hearing today, Gen. McKenzie talked about the huge possibility of providing Egypt with F-15s. pic.twitter.com/7bPMOrq1uy
— 𝔗𝔥𝔬𝔱𝔥 🇪🇬 (@TheEgyAnalysis) March 15, 2022
“As a matter of policy, the Department does not comment on or confirm proposed defense sales until they have been formally notified to Congress,” a State Department spokesperson said.
McKenzie didn’t provide further details while the US State Department has not publicly notified a fighter sale to Egypt.
The US Central Command chief was testifying to lawmakers alongside Gen. Stephen Townsend, head of US Africa Command, about the status of their respective areas of responsibility.
The McKenzie announcement also comes just days after the Senate tussled over a $2.2 billion sale of cargo planes to Egypt.
In January the US announced approval of two major military equipment sales to Egypt, covering 12 C-130 J Super Hercules transports and accompanying equipment, worth $2.2 billion, and ground-based air defense systems worth $355 million.
However, last year the U.S State Department put on hold $130 million worth of military aid to Egypt, with the human rights situation in the country still in question.